Ox-Bow’s Pre-College program is a one-week intensive landscape drawing class designed for advanced high school juniors, seniors and recent graduates who are considering pursuing a degree in the visual arts. Students are given the opportunity to evaluate and strengthen their commitment to the study of art, receive college level instruction, and receive 1 college credit through The School of the Art Institute of Chicago. Other Ox-Bow classes run concurrently with these courses, providing Pre-College students with a sense of community as they interact with other artists taking classes. To learn more about life on campus, visit our information page.
About the class
Faculty: E.W. Ross and Olivia Petrides, 1 week, July 2-8, 2017
The Pre-College Landscape Drawing class draws upon the natural terrain of Ox-Bow. In this class, students use a wide variety of media to explore drawing, design, composition and creativity. Students also participate in slide lectures, critiques, and meetings with visiting artists. For more information about tuition, room and board fees, visit our Pre-College Tuition page.
Pre-College Class Registration
All students must register for the class, regardless of whether you are submitting a scholarship application. Class registration is on a first come, first served basis. Registration is not an automated process; the registrar will email you to confirm your class enrollment. If you have any questions, feel free to contact us by email.
Students are encouraged to apply for the Pre-College scholarship. The deadline to apply for the scholarship is Monday, June 1, 2017, Midnight CST. The applications are reviewed on a rolling basis and students will be notified of the award within four weeks of applying. To apply for the Pre-College scholarship, submit an online application using the below link.
Please include the following materials in your application:
- Respond to the scholarship short essay questions (these questions are within the online form)
- A letter of recommendation from a teacher (may be emailed directly to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Image List: Include the title of each work, media, dimensions and any other necessary information.
- Documentation of your artwork: At least one or more of the following, based on what best represents your work:
- 5-10 digital images (no powerpoints or pdfs)
- 5-10 minutes total video work(s) or video documentation of work.
- 5-10 minutes total audio work(s).
- Up to 30 pages of writing(s) samples.
Information for Parents/Guardians
All students are required to reside on campus during the course. An adult chaperone is housed with Pre-College students throughout the week. Students must provide their own transportation to and from Ox-Bow, but are not permitted to have a vehicle on campus. If you have any questions about the program, feel free to contact us 1.800.318.3019.