At Ox-Bow School of Art and Artists’ Residency, we take your online security very seriously, and we're committed to protecting your privacy and personal information. We've compiled this statement to explain how we collect, use, and secure your information.
I. Information We Collect & How We Use It
Ox-Bow requests and collects personal information from our students and supporters at various site locations and instances, including, but not limited to, when you request a catalog, an e-newsletter subscription, information about benefits, sign-up and/or pay for a class, make a donation, sign up for an event, communicate with us via social media, participate in events, contests, promotions, or contact Ox-Bow. These are currently the primary ways in which we gather information, however, we may also collect data through other channels in the future.
The types of personal information we may collect from you can vary according to the method through which it was attained. It may include, but is not limited to, the following:
A. Information You Provide to Us
We receive and store any information you knowingly provide to us, such as:
- Full name
- Email address
- Phone number
- Shipping address
- Billing information and payment details (such as billing address, credit card details, and other sensitive financial information, specifically for the purpose of completing your transaction)
- A record of your Ox-Bow courses, and purchase and/or donation history
- Information provided by you through your interactions with us in social media
- Location and geographic information that could be collected if you use our mobile site or app.
- Other details that you may submit to us, or that may be included in the information provided to us by third parties.
B. Information Collected Automatically
We may collect and store non-personally identifiable usage information (including frequency and number of visitors to our Site). Such data is used only in aggregate form and in a manner that assures your anonymity. We may provide this anonymous, aggregate information to our partners; and our partners may additionally use such information in order to determine general usage patterns and trends in an effort to provide you with an improved online experience.
C. Email & Other Communications
We may contact you via email to send you necessary order-related/registration-related messages, such as order confirmation and shipment confirmation notices. We may also send you newsletters and additional email messages about our products, services, contests, and promotions that we feel may be of interest to you. If you no longer wish to receive these and other promotional communications from us, you may select the unsubscribe link. You may also customize your communication preferences by emailing Ox-Bow@saic.edu.
D. How We Use Your Information
All of the personal information we collect from our customers is for the purpose of the reasoning described above, as well as:
- processing, verifying, validating, and completing your transaction
- creating, managing, and maintaining your relationship to Ox-Bow
- providing requested live customer support and services
- record keeping of your purchase and donation history
- enabling communication via our Site, blog, and social networks
- managing your participation in contests and promotions
- sending email as appropriate (See Section C: Email & Other Communications)
E. Students at Ox-Bow
Ox-Bow is affiliated with the School of the Art Institute of Chicago (SAIC). When registering for a class at Ox-Bow, a student id number for SAIC is generated. Ox-Bow will share registration information, such as name, address, course, room and board choice with SAIC. Students enrolling in a for-credit course will be billed by SAIC directly, thus SAIC may request financial information directly from the student. Non-Credit students pay for their courses and related fees directly to Ox-Bow. Ox-Bow will share payment status and type, such as check or credit card payment with SAIC but will not share actual account processing information with SAIC, unless requested by the student.
F. For-Credit Students at Ox-Bow and consequently SAIC, are protected by the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
This Act, with which Ox-Bow and SAIC comply, was designated to protect the privacy of educational records, to establish the right of students to inspect and review their educational records, and to provide guidelines for the correction of inaccurate or misleading data through informal and formal hearings.
Students also have the right to file complaints with the FERPA office concerning alleged failures by the institution to comply with the act. School policy explains in detail the procedures to be used by SAIC for compliance with the FERPA provisions. Copies of this policy may be found in the Office of the Registrar. The Office of Registration and Records also maintains a directory of records listing all educational records maintained on students at SAIC.
Questions concerning FERPA may be referred to the academic records officer, located in the Registration and Records office.
FERPA Student Information Release Authorization Form can be found here.
FERPA affords students certain rights with respect to their education records. These rights include the following:
- The right to inspect and review the student’s education records within 45 days of the day SAIC receives a written request for access. Students should submit to Registration and Records a written request identifying the record(s) they wish to inspect. The Director of Registration and Records makes arrangements for access and notifies the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the Registration and Records office, the Director shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.
- The right to request the amendment of the student’s education records that the student believes are inaccurate or misleading. Students may ask SAIC to amend a record that they believe is inaccurate or misleading. They should write to the Director of Registration and Records, clearly identifying the part of the record they want changed and specifying why it is inaccurate or misleading. If SAIC decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, SAIC notifies the student of the decision and advises the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures is provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.
- The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. One exception which permits disclosure without consent is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by the college in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person or company with whom SAIC has contracted as its agent to provide service instead of using SAIC employees or officials (such as an attorney, auditor, collection agent, or insurance company); a person serving on the Board of Trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibilities with SAIC operations and functions.
FERPA prohibits access by non-school personnel to information about individual students without the student’s written authorization, except that which is considered public information. SAIC hereby designates the following as public or “directory information.” Such information may be disclosed by SAIC for any purpose, at its discretion (Ox-Bow will not share the following information with administrative personnel. For example, if you would like to contact a former fellow student we are happy to email them on you behalf but will not give you’re their contact information directly):
- Student name(s)
- Student address(es), electronic address (e-mail) and telephone number
- Dates of admission/attendance
- Degrees and awards received
- Previous institutions attended
- Date and place of birth
- Expected graduation date
- Current term hours enrolled and enrollment status (full-time, part-time, not enrolled, withdrawn and date of withdrawal)
Prevent Release of Directory Information
To Prevent Release of Directory Information, you must submit a written request to the Office of Registration and Records no later than the 10th day of the semester (fifth day of summer session). Such requests for nondisclosure are honored so long as you are continuously enrolled or unless you sooner revoke the request in writing.
G. For-Credit Transcripts must be requested through the SAIC registrar
For more information on requesting your SAIC transcript please visit: http://www.saic.edu/academics/registrationandrecords/records/transcriptrequests/
H. Under 13?
Ox-Bow.org is intended for users who are 13 years of age and older. If you are under the age of 13, you are not permitted to submit any personal information to Ox-Bow.org. We will promptly delete any personal information from a person under the age of 13 should we discover that we have collected such information from a person under the age of 13 without verification of parental consent. If you believe we may have collected information from a person under the age of 13, please promptly contact Ox-Bow@saic.edu so we can correct.
II. Information Sharing
Ox-Bow does not share the personal information of its users with any unaffiliated third parties for their promotional purposes. We share your personal information with unaffiliated third parties only as described below:
A. Payment, Shipping, Referral, & Other Programs
We use a third party payment processor to ensure the payment of your purchased products. We may use other third parties for other services from time to time. These third parties have no authority to use your personal information for their own promotional purposes.
B. Legal Disclosure
We reserve the right to disclose personal information to our service providers, the government, law enforcement agencies, or other third parties under certain circumstances where a formal request has been made (such as in responding to a court order, subpoena, or judicial proceeding), as Ox-Bow, in our sole and absolute discretion, deems necessary and appropriate. Moreover, in the event of a sale, merger, or transfer of some or all of Ox-Bow’s assets, or dissolution or bankruptcy, your personal information may be transferred to an unaffiliated third party as part of or apart from other transferred assets or assets. Any transfer will then be governed by and be the responsibility of any purchaser of or successor to the transferred assets or assets. We shall notify you by a notice on the home page of any change in the information practices governing your personal information as a result of any transfer of assets or any asset change in ownership, and your choices in how your information is used.
C. Links to Third Party Websites
This Site contains links to other websites. Ox-Bow.org takes no responsibility for the privacy practices or the content of these other websites. We encourage you to read the privacy policies of each website you visit prior to disclosing your personal information.
D. User-Generated Content & Information Disclosure
Any personal information or image content you voluntarily disclose online in a manner that other users can view (including, but not limited to: social media pages, in connection with contests and promotions, and on the Ox-Bow blog) becomes publicly available, and can be read, collected, and used by other members of this forum to send you unsolicited messages. Ox-Bow is not responsible for the personal information users select to disclose in these forums.
III. How We Protect Your Information
Ox-Bow.org utilizes some of the most advanced technology available today for Internet security purposes. When you access our checkout using industry standard Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology, your information is protected with both server authentication and data encryption, ensuring that your data is safe, secure, and available only to Ox-Bow.
Ox-Bow.org uses Braintree for all of our secure online credit card transactions for non-credit course payments, ticket sales and online donations. Ox-Bow may sometimes requests secure invoices through Braintree. Ox-Bow.org uses the secure programs Wufoo and Submittable and Survey Monkey to process forms, applications, and surveys.
In addition, Ox-Bow.org is hosted in a secure server to prevent interference or outside access to keep us all safe!
IV. Accessing Your Personal Information & Preferences
You can access, update, or change your personal information and communication preferences by contacting Ox-Bow@saic.edu, or by unsubscribing to the e-newsletter. Additionally, some information may require you to contact the SAIC Registrar’s Office at email@example.com. (But don’t worry Ox-Bow will let you know if it is necessary to also contact SAIC). You can choose not to provide us with any or all of the information we specify or request, but then we may not be able to process your request.
V. Your California Privacy Rights
Under California's "Shine the Light" law, California residents who provide personal information in obtaining products or services for personal, family, or household use are entitled to request and obtain from us once a calendar year information about the customer information we shared, if any, with other businesses for their own direct marketing uses. If applicable, this information would include the categories of customer information and the names and addresses of those businesses with which we shared customer information for the immediately prior calendar year (e.g. requests made in 2012 will receive information regarding 2011 sharing activities).
To obtain this information from Ox-Bow please send an email message to Ox-Bow@saic.edu with "Request for California Privacy Information" on the subject line and in the body of your message. We will provide the requested information to you at your email address in response. Not all information sharing is covered by the "Shine the Light" requirements, and only information on covered sharing will be included in our response.
Last updated February 20, 2015
VII. Contact Us
36 S Wabash Ave Fl 12
Chicago, IL 60603